- 'Rattled with guilt,' assistant director David Halls convicted for role in 'Rust' shooting
Assistant director David Halls handed the loaded weapon to actor Alec Baldwin on Oct. 21, 2021, on the "Rust" set. On Friday, Halls pleaded no contest to negligent use of a deadly weapon.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 12:22pm -
- Sea expedition discovers a 3,300-foot-tall butte off California coast
A sea mountain was discovered about 200 miles off Northern California during a recent expedition by an unmanned sea mapping vehicle.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- Opinion: Even as mass shootings multiply, judges are erasing gun laws
A 2022 Supreme Court decision is overturning one law after another that seeks to reduce gun violence in America.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- Column: Trump's indictment is a historic first. Here's why more are likely to follow
New York prosecutor Alvin Bragg's investigation is just the beginning of Trump's legal exposure. Charges in Georgia and from Special Counsel Jack Smith also loom.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 7:43pm -
- What Trump's indictment means for his political future — and his party's
Donald Trump is the first former president in history to be criminally indicted. Here are four important takeaways — including the impact on his political future.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 5:34pm -
- Trump indicted in alleged hush-money scheme, becoming first former U.S. president in history to be prosecuted
The indictment marks the first time in American history that a U.S. president has been prosecuted on criminal charges.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 4:39pm -
- L.A. activists call for justice in condemning the deaths of 39 immigrants in Ciudad Juarez
Central American activists in L.A. criticized Mexico's president and harsh immigration policies over the deadly fire at an immigration detention center.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 7:30am -
- Column: A father shot his daughters. A mom wants to know why her warning was ignored
David Mora shot and killed his three daughters and a chaperone during a supervised visit last year. The children's mother warned the courts he was dangerous, but no one listened.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- Far-right presentation using misappropriated election software alarms experts
On the third day of the CPAC this month, two men delivered on experts' biggest concerns about attempts to access election machines after the 2020 election.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- Calmes: Big Lie No. 2 — Congress has done all it can on guns
America's assault weapons ban, in effect from 1994 to 2004, shows that such a law enacted now would mean many fewer Nashvilles in the future.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- Skeletal remains found at Lake Mead belong to man who drowned in 1974
The human remains of Donald P. Smith, 39, were found at Lake Mead in Nevada, where he died by accidental drowning, according to Clark County officials.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 8:25pm -
- Mexico opens homicide probe, names 8 guards as suspects in fire that killed 39 migrants
Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador promises the investigation of the fire that killed 39 migrants will "find out what really happened."
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 3:04pm -
- Alec Baldwin prosecution 'on its heels' after DA leaves 'Rust' case, experts say
New Mexico's criminal case against Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed in the fatal "Rust" shooting suffered another setback this week.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 2:18pm -
- Health premiums and consumers' medical costs may be about to soar, even as inflation falls
Medical inflation is accelerating as demand for non-COVID-19-related health services recovers and providers seek to make up for soaring labor costs.
- 4 days ago 29 Mar 23, 8:09am -
- Column: Scandal after scandal, Trump has defied political physics. Will this time be different?
It's foolish to predict the impact if Trump is indicted. But there's reason to believe things have changed and his scot-free days may be over.
- 4 days ago 29 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- Opinion: Now Trump's cruel border policy is spreading in Canada
Under last week's Biden-Trudeau deal, many migrants seeking safety could soon be passed from Canada to the U.S., Mexico and beyond.
- 4 days ago 29 Mar 23, 5:02am -
- Can this town save itself from fentanyl addiction? The race to turn around a threatened community
The town of Española, N.M., has struggled with drug addiction for generations. But fentanyl has contributed to rising homelessness and overdose rates.
- 4 days ago 29 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- 'Let's go!': Video from Nashville shooting shows officers rushing to end shooter's deadly prowl
Nashville police swiftly released video from Monday's school shooting, showing the assailant's chilling prowl and responding officers' sense of urgency to stop it.
- 4 days ago 28 Mar 23, 5:40pm -
- Mark Hamill adds Luke Skywalker's voice to Ukrainian air-raid app
Ukraine supporter Mark Hamill has loaned Luke Skywalker's voice to a smartphone app that warns of incoming air raids amid the war with Russia.
- 4 days ago 28 Mar 23, 2:49pm -
- Nashville shooter, who was 'under doctor's care for emotional disorder,' used 3 guns, police say
Audrey Hale, 28, legally purchased seven firearms and used three of them in the shooting at a Christian school that left six people dead, authorities said.
- 4 days ago 28 Mar 23, 2:22pm -
- At least 38 migrants killed in a fire at a detention center in Mexico
At least 38 people died in a fire late Monday at a migrant detention center in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, officials said.
- 5 days ago 28 Mar 23, 5:15am -
- News Analysis: Israel's protests, Netanyahu and the crisis his government unleashed
If the Netanyahu government falls apart, it is unclear who would fill the void or what new unrest could be ignited.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 5:50pm -
- Walter Cole, world's oldest drag queen as Darcelle XV, dies at 92
A fearless advocate for the LGBTQ community, Cole was crowned the world's oldest drag performer in 2016 by Guinness World Records.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 5:05pm -
- Biden immigration plan could force asylum officers to break law, union warns
The union's decision to oppose Biden's asylum proposal is one indication of the plan's similarities to Trump-era efforts.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 4:30pm -
- Fugees' Pras Michel is entangled in a campaign-finance case. His trial begins today
Former Fugees rapper Pras Michel is on trial in Washington, D.C., after he pleaded not guilty to conspiring with fugitive Malaysian financier Jho Low.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 3:01pm -
- Photos: Nashville church school shooting, 3 children, 3 staff killed
The shooter, described as a 28-year-old Nashville resident, was armed with at least two assault rifles and a handgun, officials say.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 2:42pm -
- Supreme Court to decide if government can prosecute someone for 'encouraging' illegal immigration
Can someone be prosecuted for 'encouraging' illegal immigration or is it free speech? The Supreme Court will decide.
- 5 days ago 27 Mar 23, 1:42pm -
- 'Rust' shooting prosecution against Alec Baldwin faces another setback
Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed have been charged with involuntary manslaughter. Lead prosecutor tells the judge her office is "in dire straits" as it tries to prepare its case.
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 1:37pm -
- Opinion: The fall of Benjamin Netanyahu
Israel's longest-serving prime minister is out of tricks. His attempt at a judicial revolution has left Israelis feeling disenfranchised and desperate.
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 1:00pm -
- Police seek motive as Nashville school shooting captures the attention of a divided nation
Police identified the assailant as a 28-year-old Nashville resident who authorities said identified as transgender.
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 11:37am -
- When it comes to preventing COVID-19 deaths, 'how we feel about each other matters'
A new study examines the factors that caused some states to have COVID-19 mortality rates that were four times higher than others.
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 8:00am -
- What does it mean to be a 'cowboy'? This festival shakes up the myth, one performance at a time
The truth about cowboy culture? The West's new storytellers want to focus on authenticity, emphasizing their connections to the land.
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- Nicholas Goldberg: Democrats flip red, Republicans flip blue on one major issue. Is it permanent?
Democrats used to favor nonintervention and Republicans were hawks. Now, not so much. Will the role reversal last?
- 6 days ago 27 Mar 23, 5:00am -
- Top Democrats warn Biden: Don't restart family detentions
As he prepares for an expected reelection campaign, President Biden has tried to distance himself from the left on some issues, including immigration.
- 6 days ago 26 Mar 23, 4:37pm -
- Khanna endorses Barbara Lee for U.S. Senate
Rep. Ro Khanna of California will not run for Senate next year and is instead supporting Rep. Barbara Lee in her bid to succeed Sen. Dianne Feinstein.
- 7 days ago 26 Mar 23, 1:06pm -
- Column: The law is on Trump's tail, and he sounds pretty worried
The former president has threatened there will be "death and destruction" if he's indicted in New York. But his biggest troubles may come in other courtrooms.
- 7 days ago 26 Mar 23, 6:00am -
- Opinion: From Mexico to Brazil, Latin America's democracies face a common threat from within
Leaders in Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, El Salvador and other countries in the region have brought armies back into politics and government. That's dangerous.
- 7 days ago 26 Mar 23, 5:30am -
- Amid conflicts and climate change, U.N. puts focus on 'deep trouble' in water worldwide
The United Nations held its first water conference in decades, focusing on crises and solutions. The U.N. chief said 'water is in deep trouble' globally.
- 8 days ago 25 Mar 23, 12:33pm -
- Former U.S. marshal from Brea convicted of framing ex-girlfriend in 'rape fantasy' scheme
Ian R. Diaz, 44, was convicted of conspiracy to commit cyberstalking, cyberstalking perjury and obstruction of justice, the U.S. Department of Justice said.
- 8 days ago 24 Mar 23, 9:50pm -
- Skier 'categorically hit me': Gwyneth Paltrow takes the stand in ski-collision trial
Gwyneth Paltrow, who is accused of negligence in a 2016 ski collision with a man at the Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, testified Friday.
- 8 days ago 24 Mar 23, 5:47pm -
- 'Rust' armorer seeks to block special prosecutor in criminal case
Criminal legal proceedings involving Alec Baldwin and Hannah Gutierrez Reed over the fatal 'Rust' shooting have been complicated by a dispute over the role and motivations of the special prosecutor.
- 8 days ago 24 Mar 23, 5:28pm -
- COVID is still out there. Here's what to do if you get it now
It's 2023 and you just tested positive for COVID-19. Now what? The latest CDC protocols, isolation recommendations, ways to treat it and ways to prevent long COVID.
- 9 days ago 24 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- The Times podcast: A surrender hotline for Russian soldiers
As Russia's invasion of Ukraine continues, Ukrainian military officials have set up a hotline for Russian soldiers to call in and surrender. Is it working to end the war?
- 9 days ago 24 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- The U.S. and China are clashing over TikTok. Here's everything you should know
The move among some U.S. officials to force a sale or ban of TikTok has met with resistance from Beijing, which warns of negative consequences.
- 9 days ago 24 Mar 23, 6:51am -
- TikTok CEO faces bipartisan grilling over privacy, China ties and teens
At a congressional hearing, TikTok Chief Executive Shou Zi Chew faced questions on topics from election misinformation to the platform's impact on the mental health of young people.
- 9 days ago 23 Mar 23, 6:16pm -
- Gwyneth Paltrow and her children expected to testify Friday in ski-collision trial
Gwyneth Paltrow is expected to testify Friday in the trial over an allegation that she negligently crashed into a man on a Utah ski slope in 2016.
- 9 days ago 23 Mar 23, 3:59pm -
- U.S. strikes deal with Canada over northern border, asylum seekers
The deal will expand the ability of Canadian and American border officials to turn back asylum seekers who cross without authorization.
- 10 days ago 23 Mar 23, 1:22pm -
- Two decades after start of Iraq conflict, Congress poised to repeal war authorization
The repeal effort is also targeting a similar 1991 authorization that gave President George H.W. Bush permission to start the Gulf War.
- 10 days ago 23 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- Swastikas, bullhorns, guns: Antisemitic incidents in U.S. hit 43-year high, report says
Anti-Jewish incidents hit a record high in U.S. and California in 2022, the Anti-Defamation League says. Some harassers referenced Ye's antisemitic remarks.
- 10 days ago 23 Mar 23, 6:00am -
- Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, potential presidential candidate, woos Orange County Republicans
Asa Hutchinson, a former governor of Arkansas, is considering running for the GOP presidential nomination next year. He is expected to announce his plans in April.
- 10 days ago 23 Mar 23, 12:16am -