- ‘Thousands of Dollars for Something I Didn’t Do’
Because of a bad facial recognition match and other hidden technology, Randal Reid spent nearly a week in jail, falsely accused of stealing purses in a state he said he had never even visited.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 9:21pm -
- Tesla and Musk Lose Ruling on Factory Union Issues
A court upheld a finding that Tesla wrongly fired a worker involved in labor organizing and that a Twitter post by Elon Musk was illegally anti-union.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 7:33pm -
- Fox News Suffers Major Setback in Dominion Case
A judge said the suit would go to trial, for a jury to weigh whether the network knowingly spread false claims about Dominion Voting Systems, and to determine any damages.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 6:10pm -
- ChatGPT Is Banned in Italy Over Privacy Concerns
The action by Italy’s data protection agency is the first known instance of the chatbot’s being blocked by a government order.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 5:39pm -
- Welcome Back to The Trump Show
A historic indictment has returned the former president and his supporting cast to the forefront of the media universe.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 4:42pm -
- Top Economist Leaves White House, and an Economy Not Yet ‘Normal’
Cecilia Rouse says lingering effects of the coronavirus pandemic continue to haunt the recovery from recession — and drag on Americans’ optimism for the economy.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 4:34pm -
- Sam Altman, the ChatGPT King, Is Pretty Sure It’s All Going to Be OK
Sam Altman sees the pros and cons of totally changing the world as we know it. And if he does make human intelligence useless, he has a plan to fix it.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:58pm -
- The Fed’s Preferred Inflation Gauge Cooled Notably in February
A closely watched measure of price increases provided encouraging news as the Fed considers when to stop raising rates.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:49pm -
- How the S&P 500 is Dominated By Apple and Microsoft
Investors in the S&P 500 are highly dependent on the fate of Microsoft, Apple and other big technology stocks. A rally in March showed how this can mask turmoil in the rest of the market.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:34pm -
- How Federal Judge’s Ruling on Obamacare Could Change Health Insurance
A ruling by a federal judge this week could set up yet another Supreme Court challenge to the Obamacare health law.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:33pm -
- Yang Bing-yi, Founder of Dumpling Empire Din Tai Fung, Dies at 96
Starting with a modest shop in Taiwan in 1958, he built Din Tai Fung into a global dumpling and noodle empire, earning a Michelin star along the way.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:13pm -
- Has Bitcoin Benefited From the Banking Crisis? Not in the Way Its Fans Hoped.
Bitcoin’s price has soared since banks failed this month, but there’s little evidence that the surge is being driven by investors treating the virtual currency as a financial alternative.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:10pm -
- New Rules Will Make Many Electric Cars Ineligible for Tax Credits
The Biden administration hopes its guidelines for up to $7,500 in tax credits will encourage automakers to reduce their reliance on China for batteries and raw materials.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 3:00pm -
- How a Trump-Era Rollback Mattered for Silicon Valley Bank’s Demise
An under-the-radar change to the way regional banks are supervised may have helped the bank’s rapidly growing risks to go unresolved.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 2:46pm -
- Just Dept. Sues Norfolk Southern Railroad East Palestine Train Fire
The lawsuit, seeking to claw back cleanup costs under the Clean Water Act, accuses the Georgia-based rail company of putting profits over safety.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 2:27pm -
- Are Big Profits Keeping Prices High? Some Central Bankers Are Concerned.
Companies’ rising profit margins could be contributing to persistent inflation, a European Central Bank policymaker says.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 1:54pm -
- Social Security and Medicare Funds Still Face Long-Term Shortfalls, Report Says
Slower economic growth could mean some retirement benefits will be cut sooner than originally forecast.
- 1 day ago 31 Mar 23, 1:13pm -
- Virgin Orbit’s Failed Launch Is a Blow to the Company
Richard Branson’s satellite launch company, which hasn’t recovered since a January mishap in Britain, has laid off nearly all its employees.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 10:29am -
- The Future of AI: What Comes Next and What to Expect
Where we’re heading tomorrow, next year and beyond.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 10:28am -
- A Big Rover Aims to Be Like ‘U.P.S. for the Moon’
A small company, Astrolab, announced a deal with SpaceX to send a robotic version of its transport vehicle to the lunar surface and help deploy other company’s payloads.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 10:15am -
- Twitter’s Blue Check Apocalypse Is Upon Us. Here’s What to Know About Twitter’s Blue Check
Elon Musk, Twitter’s owner, is changing the platform’s longstanding practice of verifying accounts. That has implications for a range of users.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 8:17am -
- Is It Rude to Knit During Virtual Meetings?
An official in Wales was called out for knitting in a virtual meeting, setting off a debate over etiquette. Experts say the fine-motor movement activates the parts of the brain used for focus.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 8:15am -
- A Federal Tool Could Soon Make It Easier to Compare Credit Cards
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which already provides some card details, is asking banks for more information about who qualifies for which cards.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 8:00am -
- Fox News Hosts Back Trump, After Months of Keeping Some Distance
Despite recent criticism, the network’s star personalities joined other leading conservatives in denouncing the indictment as politically motivated and a possible cause for unrest.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 7:25am -
- Conspiracy Theorists Seek Reasons for Trump Indictment on Social Media
Mr. Trump tried rallying his base as the expected indictment drew near.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 7:22am -
- Trump’s Indictment and What’s Next
The fallout will be widespread, with ramifications for the 2024 presidential race, policymaking and more.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 7:00am -
- The Fed Is Doing Too Much, All at Once
In its fight against inflation, the Federal Reserve has contributed to the bank failures and economic instability that it is now trying to fix, our columnist says.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 4:00am -
- As a Golf Course Developer, He’s Playing the Long Game
Ben Cowan-Dewar’s career has “been an overnight success story 19 years in the making.”
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 4:00am -
- 12 Ways to Save on Family Spring Break Travel
Like everything else these days, the cost of a family vacation is rising. With spring break season upon us, here’s how to keep costs under control.
- 2 days ago 31 Mar 23, 4:00am -
- Trump Indictment Elicits Extensive TV Coverage, and Some Gasps
The news of the indictment of former President Trump immediately took over cable news channels and the country’s main broadcast networks on Thursday.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 7:08pm -
- Jamie Dimon Reprises 2008 Role as Rescuer of a Failing Bank
The JPMorgan chief executive led an effort to raise $30 billion for First Republic, but no one is sure if it did any good.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 5:26pm -
- DeSantis’s Oversight Board Said Disney Stripped It of Its Power
The Florida governor’s new Disney World oversight board belatedly realized that the company had quietly sidestepped its control.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 4:57pm -
- Kushner Firm Got Hundreds of Millions From 2 Persian Gulf Nations
The infusion of money from interests in the two Persian Gulf monarchies reflects the close ties to Middle Eastern countries established by Jared Kushner, former President Donald Trump’s son-in-law.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 4:21pm -
- Biden Calls on Regulators to Increase Oversight of Certain Banks
The proposals, which would not require congressional approval, are a response to Silicon Valley Bank’s failure this month, which sent shocks through the financial system.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 3:48pm -
- Elon Musk Tried to Meet With F.T.C. Chair About Twitter but Was Rebuffed
Mr. Musk requested a meeting with Lina Khan, the chair of the F.T.C., which has been investigating Twitter’s privacy and data practices.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 3:37pm -
- Sam Bankman-Fried Pleads Not Guilty to Additional Set of Charges
Prosecutors this week charged Mr. Bankman-Fried with orchestrating a $40 million bribe to Chinese officials to unfreeze funds held by his trading firm, Alameda Research.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 1:16pm -
- A.I., Brain Scans and Cameras: The Spread of Police Surveillance Tech
In the Middle East, artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies have become part of everyday policing.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 1:09pm -
- Banker Bonuses Drop 26% on Wall Street As Deal-Making Cools
The bumper payouts earlier in the pandemic have waned, as banks cut costs and worries about financial stability loom over markets.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 12:54pm -
- Lobbyists Begin Chipping Away at Biden’s $80 Billion IRS Overhaul
The tax preparation industry is alarmed over the prospect that the Internal Revenue Service will devise its own free tax-filing system.
- 2 days ago 30 Mar 23, 12:11pm -
- How to Use Chatbots, like ChatGPT, in Your Daily Life and Work
Large language models are already good at a wide variety of tasks.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 10:49am -
- The Undoing of Guo Wengui, Billionaire Partner to Trump Allies
He cultivated powerful allies and built an empire in China. Then, fleeing charges, he turned his charms on America. Now the law has caught up with him.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 10:25am -
- Bob Iger Ousts a Marvel Antagonist
Ike Perlmutter, the chairman of Marvel Entertainment who’s had a volatile tenure at Disney, was among the latest round of job cuts at the entertainment giant.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 7:32am -
- Publishers Worry AI Chatbots Will Slash Readership
Many sites get at least half their traffic from search engines. Fuller results generated by new chatbots could mean far fewer visitors.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 4:00am -
- Do We Know How Many People Are Working From Home?
New Labor Department numbers indicate that fewer Americans worked remotely last year. But many experts criticize the government’s data collection.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 4:00am -
- Tokyo Olympics Scandal Fouls Hopes for a Sapporo Winter Games
The International Olympic Committee was already struggling to find hosts for the Winter Games. Sapporo’s flailing 2030 bid has added another headache.
- 3 days ago 30 Mar 23, 1:05am -
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz Spars With Democrats at Senate Hearing
Howard Schultz faced rancor from Senate Democrats at a hearing where he chafed at “propaganda that is floating around” about company labor practices.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 11:15pm -
- Disney Lays Off Ike Perlmutter, Chairman of Marvel Entertainment
The move, part of a cost-cutting campaign, followed Mr. Perlmutter’s unsuccessful effort to shake up Disney’s board.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 6:39pm -
- Texas Observer Reverses Plan to Shut Down and Lay Off Its Staff
Former and current staff members had fought the decision to shut down the 68-year-old magazine, a bastion of liberal opinion and investigative journalism in a red state.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 6:31pm -
- Adidas Drops Trademark Dispute With Black Lives Matter
The German sportswear company challenged the trademark application on Monday, saying it was “confusingly similar” to its three-stripe logo. Within 48 hours, it reversed course.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 5:50pm -
- TikTok’s Owner ByteDance Pushes a Lemon8 App in U.S.
ByteDance, the Chinese company behind TikTok, is trying to woo popular social media creators to Lemon8 before it is officially introduced this year.
- 3 days ago 29 Mar 23, 2:15pm -